Odds and Ends (a Saturday brain dump)Posted: February 23, 2013
All over the place these last few weeks…
- Took the Little Scientist into the doctor for some help with the whole 2-years-old and eating thing. Good news: kid’s growing like a damn weed. Jumped from 70 & 70 percentile weight / height most of his life to 85 & 90 percentile respectively. Bad news: he seems to have inherited Nerddad’s blood sugar crashing issues. Our very patient pediatrician did a GREAT job of taking me seriously and offering me some tips and strategies while letting me know that we were still within the bounds of “normal things he sees”. Funny part: all those articles I’ve seen / been reading these last few months about kids oversnacking are hurting our cause. Turns out our little guy needs a few hundred calories every 2 or 3 hours. It’s making a big difference – I’m SO relieved.
- Random other good news: both of his ear tubes have fallen out (a while ago it seems), and we’ve avoided any ear infections this WINTER OF THE PLAGUE. (DAMMIT!! Someone knock on wood for me. ‘Cause I know I just jinxed it.) Would be great if we didn’t have to go back in for another round of those.
- I currently have peanut M&Ms, orange M&Ms, and CARROT CAKE M&Ms in the house. But no peanut butter or regular ones. How did this happen?
- Yeah, I’m rocking the banana hair clip today. So what?
- I miss gluten.
- I have a friend that has had a really hard pregnancy – not that there’s been issues with the baby, more that she’s been immobilized with discomfort. She’s being induced on Tuesday – and I’m so excited for her. Both for the new baby and so she can get to feeling better. Slightly less exciting – LS and I will be watching her other 3 kids at her house for 3 days. That sound you hear? That’s my anxiety level. Woof.
- Related: don’t ever assume that your husband’s crazy rotating-shift job couldn’t POSSIBLY have him working the 4 days in a row where it would be nice to have him around for one of them. Because it will. *ANXIETY*
- Also related: if I’m being honest, there’s a tiny part of me that’s glad she’s having her kid b/c the last few months have been pretty emotionally high maintenance… It’ll be nice to have some mental space to think about my own labor / delivery / general baby plans over the next three months or so.
- THREE MONTHS. HOLY CRAP.
- (The bullet before last makes me feel like a bad friend.)
- I still miss gluten.
- The LS has been getting up several times a night since Thanksgiving – I’m pretty sure he’s conspiring with his sister to prep me for newborn schedules. Thanks kids. A few nights a week I grit my teeth and rockROCKrockROCKrock because dammit! Mama needs sleep (occasionally) too! Most nights, though, I’m able to just rock and snuggle and appreciate this little baby remnant in my big boy. I had a friend visit yesterday afternoon and the kiddo would only nap if he was curled up in my lap at the kitchen table while we talked. It was actually pretty nice *sniff*.
- Why can’t I find plain men’s long-sleeved t-shirts (like Hanes Beefy T’s, but long-sleeved) ANYWHERE? Not Wally world, not Target, not Kohls… I know they exist, I’m WEARING one, gosh durn it!
- I’m really glad jellybeans are gluten-free. Nomnomnom.
And, because I know no-one actually comes here for my scintillating story-telling abilities…