Aaaaand sometimes the experiments DON’T work.Posted: September 25, 2012
Background: The pin on Pinterest said “mix equal parts clear glue and liquid starch to make goop”. And who can turn down 2-ingredient GOOP?!?! So the first time we tried this, we used store-bought liquid starch, and it worked like a charm. Equal parts slimy and goopy and cool. Held together in a big slimy ball, stretched into slimy clear sheets – Awesome McAwesomeness.
EXCEPT. I couldn’t find unscented liquid starch, and bought fresh linen scent instead. 3.4 minutes into the goopification, my nose was running and head pounding. ABORT MISSION!!
So I read somewhere else that cornstarch mixed in water makes perfect, unscented liquid starch. So what you are about to witness is the second attempt at making goop.
So our learnings from this:
- liquid starch and cornstarch + water are not equal. Not even close.
- the Little Scientist still hates having messy hands.
- messy hands covered in cornstarch and glue take 15 minutes of sink time to clean.
- a table / high chair / floor covered in cornstarch and glue takes 20 minutes to make bearable. It’s still not clean.
- math time: 20 minute activity, 35 minutes of clean-up. Ew.
I linked up this week to the #iPPP group – you should check them out!